Richmond City Council approves purchase of new police patrol vehicle – The Voice


Richmond City Council addressed law and order at its July 6 meeting, authorizing the purchase of a new police patrol vehicle and addressing consumer fireworks complaints in the city.

The board approved the purchase of a 2022 Ford F-150 Police Patrol Van for an amount not to exceed $41,390, with necessary additional options, from Signature Ford. The motion provided that the purchase would be made as part of Macomb County’s state bid, with the expenses charged to the city police department’s equipment acquisition budget line items.

“The police budget for the 2022-2023 fiscal year included $39,000 for the purchase of a new police vehicle. This is to replace the last high mileage SUV we have,” said City Manager Jon Moore. “The proposed budget, as a reminder, was prepared by the City Manager and City Treasurer prior to the hiring date of Chief (Tom) Costello. And so we may have used some old numbers as far as the state contract is related to it. The current budget of $39,000 is a little low, but we think we’ll come back once we’ve done the final layout and graphics to make a budget amendment at that time.

Moore said that at a recent budget workshop, Costello suggested using a pickup truck instead of an SUV. Costello said the vehicle will have standard specifications for a typical police patrol package and will be a fully branded patrol vehicle. It will have the ability to easily carry found bikes, help pick up barricades at city events, and similar situations.

“It would be a watch vehicle. So unlike when we first had SUVs and everyone drove them instead of driving the Taurus, it will be available to everyone but will be assigned to a particular shift. So we won’t rack up the miles with the pickup truck that everyone wants to drive versus, you know, driving your assigned vehicle,” Moore said.

Pricing for the pickup and an SUV is similar, but the pickup is readily available, and SUVs are not at this time, Moore said.

“So buying this one we can actually get it probably this year, with the others it’s at least mid-year if not further to get them,” he added. .

The pickup’s price of $41,390 includes 36,000 miles or 36 months of bumper-to-bumper warranty, as well as a 100,000-mile or 60-month powertrain warranty, according to the council’s briefs. Submissions indicate that an outfitting company for the interior of the patrol unit will send a quote for the council to consider in the future, although installation time is difficult to estimate as some products are out of stock. stock.

Richmond Police were recently called to action by concerns of resident Linda McCartney, who spoke to council on July 6 to call for the city’s fireworks ordinance to be strengthened.

Richmond Police Chief Tom Costello (Courtesy of the City of Richmond)

“I’m here tonight to see if we can prevent the 4th of July fireworks in the city of Richmond, at least in our subdivision. It just seems to me that the volume has become unbearable,” Mcartney said. “And last year, in our court circle, there were more than two hours of these loud bangs. And it started again on July 4th. But it didn’t last long. I called the police and they came. I understand that it’s completely legal for people to have fireworks, but it seems to me that the volume has gotten too loud. And I would like to see the end of it.

Mcartney said she believed many people in her subdivision would support a stronger order.

“If you want to do fireworks for the family, come up to Beebe Park, okay? Because I’m sure you would allow that,” Mcartney said.

Moore said that while he doesn’t know the exact circumstances of Mcartney’s complaint, fireworks are not permitted on public streets.

“So if you are on the cul-de-sac or if you are on a side street, you are not allowed to enter the street, public property or the park and take them out on the property public or public streets. But other than that, getting them out of your backyard, our order is already as restrictive as the state allows us,” Moore said.

The current city ordinance permits the lighting and discharge of consumer fireworks in the city only on the following days after 11 a.m.:

• December 31 to 1:00 a.m. on January 1.

• Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Memorial Day until 11:45 p.m. each of these days.

• From June 29 to July 4 until 11:45 p.m. each of these days.

• July 5, if this date is a Friday or a Saturday, until 11:45 p.m.

• Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Labor Day until 11:45 p.m. each of these days.

• Friday and Saturday immediately following Labor Day until 11:45 p.m. on each of these days.

• Exceptions to the permitted dates for the lighting, unloading and use of consumer fireworks may be made by the board through the approval of a request for consumer fireworks for a special event. Residents can use the app to request exemptions to the Fireworks Ordinance for the use of consumer fireworks at special events such as weddings, significant birthdays or significant anniversaries .

The ordinance also clarifies that people cannot sell consumer fireworks to anyone under the age of 18, and that consumer fireworks and low-impact fireworks cannot be used under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances. Violations of the ordinance are municipal civil offenses and violators are subject to a civil fine of $1,000 for each violation of the ordinance.

“A few years ago we changed our fireworks ordinance, which then was sort of modeled after state law. Our current order limits the number of fireworks, on the days that fireworks are allowed, to the minimum number of days we are allowed to limit it,” Moore said. “Beyond that, the state would not allow it. They have set certain days aside by state law that fireworks are allowed. And so we already don’t allow them any other days than the days reserved by the State of Michigan. So in terms of how many days or how long they are allowed, we can’t be stricter than what our current order is.

Nicole Tuttle is a freelance journalist for MediaNews Group.

Previous The Fay Jones School, Rome Center participates in a prestigious festival
Next K-Pop comedy-drama “Dee Takes Seoul” by duo “Young & Hungry” works at Paramount + – Deadline